Saturday 3 August 2013

Carrot Cake, Karate Cake...

Today was a cooking day, it was lovely.  The weather was nice, I had the back door open and Radio 2 on.  God I'm getting old!
Digressions aside I decided to attempt carrot cake.  Or Karate Cake as dubbed by my brother.  Who also said 'ew, it's got carrots in it' before eating a slice and declaring it moist and yummy, which it is.

Carrot Cake/ Karate Cake

Ingredients:

175g light muscovado sugar
175ml of vegetable oil
3 medium eggs beaten
150g of grated carrots
1tsp of baking soda
1 heaped tsp of cinnamon
1 half tsp of nutmeg

Method:

1.  Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare your tin by greasing it lightly and dusting it with a little flour, I used a loaf tin, but you could use a regular cake tin if you like.
2.   Mix together your sugar and eggs until combined and a lovely dark colour, then add the carrots and stir till combined.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into your bowl and mix to combine the mixture.  Once done pour the mixture into your tin and place in the oven.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  



This recipe was done with what I had in my kitchen.  I would have loved to have added the zest of an orange or lemon perhaps.  Maybe prepared an icing or a zesty syrup to go on top of it.  This would be lovely sliced with a bit of fresh cream also.

Regardless of this I must say a slice of this cake with a cup of Yorkshire gold really did hit the spot today.  Wonderful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment