Monday 5 August 2013

This is my Potato Cake recipe, there are many like it, but this one is mine!

Cheese and Bacon Potato Cakes

I love cakes, so if I can have them for tea then that is all the better.  These are obviously savoury but really delicious.  Crunchy on the outside and soft, fluffy and cheesy on the inside, with pretty little flecks of piggy, you can't go wrong.  Either for a snack or as part of a meal I think these are great.

I am not going to suggest that you have a ton of leftover mashed potato either, because that hardly ever happens Messrs Slater, Ramsay & the rest!  You just need to boil about a pound of potatoes for this recipe.  More if you got more, less if you got less.  The thing with this recipe is that you can adjust the quantities depending on your requirements.  I'm feeding three, and my recipe makes 6 big fat yummy cakes.

Ingredients: 

4 tsbp of vegetable oil
1 lb of potatoes
150-250g of grated Mature (is there any other kind?) cheddar 
4-5 rashers of smoked bacon chopped finely and cooked
Salt and Pepper to taste
A few sprinkles of flour

Method:

1.  I am not going to tell you how to boil potatoes but one they're done mash them all up with some salt, pepper and milk.  Get as smooth a mash as you can.  My masher is rubbish, but I toil away until I get something decent.  
2.  Mix in your bacon, make sure everything is cool(ish) because A) You don't want to burn your hands and B) You don't want the cheese to melt.
3.  Scatter in the cheese and mix in bit by bit so it doesn't clump together.  Then season and taste the mixture making sure its perfect for your tastes.
4.  Grab a handful and shape into a burger type form so you can handle them well in the pan.  Place them onto a floured surface, sprinkling the top of them too, I used a baking tray.




5.  Once they are all done put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes to ensure they're stuck well together.
6.   Heat the oil in a pan and when at a good frying temperature (use a bit of bread to check) place your cakes in the oil.  I did two at a time so I didn't crowd the pan too much.  


Once these gooey beauties are done serve them with anything you like, or eat them on their own.  Regardless, they are fantastic!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment