Monday 15 July 2013

Fear of Seafood



I love seafood.  I love fish, shellfish.  Raw, cooked.  Any cuisine.  I am not bothered.  When I eat out I almost always order the fish dish.  I could quite happily be a pescatarian.

The point of this post is to mention how terrified I am of cooking it at home.  As it is such an expensive ingredient I would be incredibly upset, moved to tears if I brought home a lovely, albeit pricey, morsel and completely messed up the cooking of it.  It would break my heart.  I would take a run at any other kind of meat.  Not a problem.  However my favourite I won't attempt at home.  

It is something I must challenge simply because as such a passionate cook I should have a seafood dish in my repertoire.  I should because I love it so much.  

There must be home cooks out there with the same fear.  Or maybe not.  Maybe I am destined to live without home cooked seafood. 

The best seafood I have ever had was back home in Ireland.  A seafood chowder made in a pub by the sea.  The chowder was so creamy and the fish was so soft with clams, mussels and prawns.  The whole thing was packed full of flavour.  Peppery and sweet at the same time.  Served with dense wheaten bread and soft butter.  It was absolutely delicious.

Seems so simple doesn't it?  I just don't have the stones!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment