Monday 15 July 2013

For my friends coming over...

We've all seen that episode of Nigella, Jamie or Barefoot Contessa to use just a few examples, where they have a group of friends, family or some random group of people coming over for dinner.  Whether it's lunch, dinner, brunch or high tea the presenter will give us specific party information as an excuse to present their lovely recipes.  

Nigella is the main culprit.  She always has people coming by at the last minute, but it's OK because she is amazing and can handle it.  Some of my favourite Nigella recipes are her ones for groups of people, or a party where you don't have the time or you want to enjoy your guests.  A chicken, chorizo and potato one-tray bake, throw it in a tray, bung it in the oven, that really is it.  So if I was a teenage girl I would have posters of her on my wall.  

My only issue with these episodes is simply the inclusion of these extras, the part where they have their glamorous party.  All I want to know is the recipe, just tell me what to do so I can copy the recipe.  Show me how it is served.  It is really boring from a TV point of view.  

I think my main gripe is that I am not invited.  I would love to be drinking cocktails and eating delicious canapés at Nigellas.  I watch these episodes jealously, maybe because I long so much to be able to count Ms Lawson as a mate.  'Yeah come round for tea.' I'll say.  'We'll have some chicken and potatoes then drink litres of prosecco and sing along to show tunes'*.  My goodness.  I know it is very sad to say these things but that is what these episodes give me.  They tell me that I can have this lifestyle.  It is very unfair.  

I feel that way about going around to Ina Garten's** or Jamie Oliver's house also, but not as much because I haven't thought up elaborate fantasies about our friendships.  Maybe it is because I cook all the time, I enjoy it, even love it, but to have someone do all that for me more often would be nice.  

Possibly the most interesting thing about these episodes is the feeling that you may not be able to cook these recipes if you don't have a party coming over.

My boyfriend James, who has to endure the everyday culinary programming, dislikes both Jamie Oliver (for obvious reasons) and Ina Garten.  However Barefoot Contessa is the show that really gets him riled up.  I think he believes that she can't cook.  First of all in one episode she cooked steak for 15 minutes, which was enough to throw him into a grump.  However he did mention one episode, which I hadn't seen until now.  'Barefoot in London'.  Where she cooks a bacon sandwich and prepares a ploughman's lunch.  So I may have to watch some more Barefoot Contessa, and watch it closely.  

*Nigella is my favourite TV Chef and can do little wrong in my eyes so if you aren't a fan, I apologise.  Also I believe that she is too brilliant and is obviously going through a really rough time so she is more than welcome to come round to mine and drown her sorrows.  As long as she buys the booze.  I'm not made of money!

**I am reluctant to start a critique of Ina Garten since finding out that she wrote the Nuclear energy budget and policy papers on nuclear centrifuge plants for Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.  Whilst doing this she was throwing soirées and dinner parties and 'flipping' houses and making bank.  Hardcore lady.   


No comments:

Post a Comment