Tuesday 30 July 2013

Today is curry day!

My lovely curry!


I spent ages perfecting this recipe, it was always either too spicy or too bland.  I could never get the balance right.  I know that this problem is not just me.
The thing this curry requires no skill whatsoever.  It's really just throwing things into a pot at different stages.  You can make this vegetarian, or meat it up.  It really doesn't matter.  It's foolproof.

I use chicken thighs and legs roasted in the oven.  I throw away the bones and chuck in the meat.  Done!

I hope you try this recipe, I love it.  

Rachael's Curry

Ingredients:

2 tbsp of Vegetable oil
1/2 tbsp of mustard seeds
Small handful of curry leaves
3 medium onions chopped finely
1 tsp of light brown sugar
1 heaped tbsp of garlic and ginger paste (Alternatively 4 medium cloves of garlic and 1 2cm piece of fresh ginger chopped and combined.  I find the paste so handy).
1 red chilli chopped finely
500g of cooked chicken (can substitute here with heaps of veg or another meat)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 pint chicken or vegetable stock.

 In a cup I put:
3tsp of madras curry powder
1 heaped tsp of cumin
1 heaped tsp of corriander powder
2 heaped tsps of tumeric
1 heaped tsp of garam masala

Add enough hot water to make this into a paste.  I find this helps stop the spices burning or clumping together.

 Method:

1. Put oil into pan and put in curry leaves and mustard seeds.  Turn heat on and when the seeds start popping throw in your onions and the sugar, cook until soft.
2. Add the garlic and ginger, stir to combine.  Then do the same with the spice mixture.  Then add your chilli, leave out if you don't like too much chilli.  But I feel it adds heat and it really isn't too hot.
3.  Throw in your cooked chicken and make sure it is covered in all the spice and then add the tomatoes and combine.  When it is bubbling add about a 1/4 of the stock and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
 4.  Return to the pot and taste, add more stock if it needs it, or season to taste.  Leave it on the lowest heat while you prepare your extras.

Popadums, chapattis, naans or rice.  What you serve your curry with is up to you! I like to have lots of rice made with coconut milk, or chapattis with lots of butter.  It really is up to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment