Sunday 14 July 2013

Leftover Cheese?

Sitting on my sofa watching another cooking programme this afternoon really pushed me over the edge.  It was Valentine Warner's What to Eat Now.  This programme has a really great concept, if you haven't seen it, it is a show that focusses on the best seasonal produce we should be eating, now.

It wasn't the lovely recipes that Valentine was showing us, including some lovely tomato pizzas with a batty lady in a greenhouse to Gooseberry meringues which I didn't like the look of but my boyfriend was all over them.  The thing that had me gesticulating and ejaculating (I'm bringing that word out of the seedy world it has been banished too) at the television was not the lovely produce on show it was the use of the term 'leftover'.  Now TV chefs are really getting on my nerves with the use of this term.  From Mr Warner, to Gordon Ramsay (leftover baked potatoes), Jay Rayner on The One Show (leftover cheese to make Cauliflower Cheese, to which even Professor Brian Cox exclaimed 'LEFTOVER CHEESE!?'), finally the worst culprit, Nigel Slater.  

Perhaps Nigel, who seems to live on his own if his shows are anything to go by, (not that there is anything wrong with that), as an accomplished and well known cook may of course have many surplus ingredients knocking about.  However people do not tend to cook a couple of roast chickens for Sunday dinner, or two or three more baked potatoes than we need for that meal.  

I will watch any and every cooking show going.  I cook almost every day for my partner and now my brother who has moved in with us.  From baking cakes to making meals that will feed my household and keep hunger at bay.  We don't have to be on a budget I will be as sensible as possible, cooking in large quantities and so on.  I know of few occasions that I have something leftover that can make a delicious, yet markedly different, meal.  

My intention for this blog is to keep an eye on these cheeky TV chefs, critique and recommend recipes that I will try myself.  I will also show you some of my own recipes that will be so wonderful if there are leftovers, you'll eat them on their own! 

60709af1976243bd5644
 

No comments:

Post a Comment